March 17, 2009

Colour and Shine; Basic and Matte

I want both colour and shine, and basic and matte. Especially now that Spring is fast approaching, I can't help but idealize all of the outfits that have been given a thought in the last months - my ability to really embrace the ridiculous is probably at an all time high right now.

I have a tweed coat with bits of turqouise woven through, but more outrageous than that, it has buttons that hardly fasten the thing and an enormous ruffled bit that hangs down one side. This means that when it's cold and I'm trying my darndest to bundle up, I can't possibly rely on those buttons nor can I wrap a huge scarf around myself and possibly hope to fit through a doorway, when I'm accompanied by the ruffle as well!

These things means that THIS is the time to experiment. Now is the time for the coat to come on out with me. If I can't bring my huge scarf or even button the coat it's not a problem. The weather is cooperating enough, the sun is out long enough, and the touch of color in the tweed is just perfect.
Also, I have these insane silky trousers left to me by my late grandmother, a wonderful and inspiring woman both in her wardrobe and out. I have a whole little collection - high wasted, wide legged, embellished trousers. One pair is bright blue with small stars covering the whole thing. Another is navy with white trim in all the right places.

So my biggest hope is to debut these in the next few weeks, when it's not so warm that I suffocate in them, but it's not so cold that I feel I forgot my pants altogether. Another trick is picking a day without a chance of rain. Frankly at this point, with my grandmother so recently lost to me, I'd rather keep them hanging pristine in my closet than risk staining them on a slushy rainy day. So pray to the weather gods with me and perhaps we'll be able to start experimenting with them sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment